Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wow, Lake Tahoe is Amazing from a Bike

On May 31, 2008, I loaded my bike into the back of the truck and drove to Tahoe at 8:00 p.m. to ride in America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride. They close the highway from South Shore to Homewood, so you get to ride about 35 miles, including the amazing Emerald Bay, without concern for cars. I met up with my group at 6:30 a.m. wondering if my knee could take 72 miles, and 4,000 feet of climbing. I had never gone more than 50 miles before, and this was my first real athletic test.

I rode like crazy, and kept pace with some very talented riders. I finished the 72 miles after 4 hours and 3 minutes in the saddle. My knee was a bit sore at the conclusion, but nothing that Advil wouldn't cure. I didn't ice until I got home that night, and my rear was a lot more sore than my knee. I graded my knee as an A+.

I had my 6 month follow up a few weeks prior, and Dr. Stone seemed thrilled with my result. I started walking the golf course, and for the first time in more years that I can remember, I was pain free!!! I used to dread the soreness that I would have at night after walking the course, but that is a thing of the past.

My biggest complaint at this point was having to anwswer the questions regarding my knee scars. As soon as you say meniscus transplant you will be in for 20 questions, so be prepared!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment