Thursday, January 22, 2009

Time to Make Some Birdies

One of my first questions to Dr. Stone at my follow up appointment was when can I play golf. I'm a 7 handicap, and I'm fully addicted to golf. Dr. Stone told me to pull my putter out of the bag, and that I could putt in my living room as soon as I could weight bear. At 6 weeks, I was putting and hitting chips in the living room. By 8 weeks, I was taking little half swings in the backyard with my pitching wedge. And, without telling Dr. Stone, I played my first full round on March 15, almost 4 months to the day later. I wore a protective knee brace, and couldn't turn on it at all, but I played. I shot an 81 and placed second in a tourney. I obviously rode in a cart, and walked very little, but I was pain free. My confidence in turning on the knee (it's my back leg) was nonexistent, and I toned my agressive swing down a lot, but I was able to play. It took another two months or so before I forgot about protecting the knee, but I never really looked back.

I saw Dr. Stone at my 4 month follow up, and while I can't say he was thrilled about my early game, my knee was perfect. My knee was smooth as silk, and he gave me the go ahead to play as much as I could. While I was still focused on rehab, it sure felt good to play golf. The next big test was June 1, 2008 and 72 miles around Lake Tahoe.

1 comment:

  1. what kind of protective brace did you wear when golfing?

    ReplyDelete