Saturday, January 3, 2009

All I Want for Christmas is a Meniscus Transplant



Christmas Eve was pretty funny.  I was moving around my house pretty well, and was getting used to the fact that I was pretty much moving slow for awhile.  We have a two story house, and I decided I would only come down and go up once a day, so I had to make it worth it!  My wife was still filling the Breg Ice Machine all day for me, and I was pretty successful at controlling breakthrough pain with icing.  Thankfully, I had felt nothing like the day 3 pain I had.  Sleeping, however, was very challenging.  I'm a side-sleeper, so sleeping in a full leg knee brace on your back is brutal.  Dr. Stone had prescribed Ambien, and I was still taking pain meds, but falling asleep wasn't easy.  Christmas Eve I took my Ambien and Percocet, and decided to sit with my wife and brother-in- law and put together the kids presents.  However, after about 30 minutes, I fell asleep on the couch, and started speaking in tongues.  Tina and Demetri got quite a kick out of it, so I decided it was time to crutch it upstairs for the night...Santa would have to work without me this year.  

I spent Christmas morning watching the kids tear through presents, icing my knee, and writing down gifts so we could write thank you notes.  I didn't move from the couch for several hours.  I was starting to clear from the fog and taking less pain meds, but I was know fully understanding the term "major knee operation."   The incisions were painless and the soreness was all but gone when I sat still, but moving was still painful.  I made sure I completed my rehab drills for the day, and took a nice hot shower.  Showering was a one-leg balance act, and if you have the space, put a stool in the shower to sit on.  I had more than one scare during the rehab where I slipped on my wife's hair product remnants in the shower.  

We went out to Christmas dinner at friends, and that was a mistake.  Its was the third night in a row going out and I was miserable.  I should have called in sick on this one, but being on pain meds certainly effects your judgment (don't sign any legal documents or drive!!!).   I didn't have my ice machine or a comfortable place to sit.  I ended up stuck in their family room with the little kids watching a movie since I could stretch my leg out on the couch.   I could hear the Stone Clinic's warnings not to overdue it, and I just knew at that moment I just had.  I would make a bigger mistake the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment