Sunday, January 4, 2009

You will pay for this!!!

Christmas fell on a Wednesday, and I felt like I could go back to work the next day. I work in an office at a desk, and I can pretty much make my own schedule, but when I don't work my work doesn't get done so I went in on the 26th. I couldn't drive yet, so I was dropped off at the office exactly one week after my surgery. This was a major miscalculation. I couldn't take meds at work at all, and I couldn't really keep my knee elevated (I had it on a chair, but it was still below my heart), so I was in trouble after only a few hours. I toughed it out for a few more, but I was more than happy to leave early for my therapy appointment with John. I was going down to SF for my 8-day follow up the next day, so I wouldn't be back in until Friday. Even that would be too soon. Due to the nature of this operation, I would recommend staying home for two weeks if possible. I was far more comfortable where I could continuously ice, elevate, and pull the knee out of the brace for range of motion exercises. Sitting at my desk was agonizing and caused swelling and pain.

I went for my 8-day with Dr. Stone. They removed the stitches, and I had another therapy session with Trish. She worked my range of motion pretty hard (okay really freaking hard), and showed me some more core work. It was a far better day than the last time I saw her on Day 3.

We were far more prepared for the trip in the car this time, and I had pillows to keep my knee comfortable in the car. We stopped to see friends on the way home, and we had our first dinner in a restaurant. The chairs were really uncomfortable and there was no real way to keep my knee on one. The place was packed and when we were seated, the hostess parted the Red Sea to our table practically shouting "here comes the Gimp!" Okay, well she probably didn't do any of that, but it felt like everyone was looking at me anyway. You just get used to it after a while, but its really amazing how a perfect stranger will come up and ask you what happened. It's just weird (more on that later).

I went to work the next day, and tried to get back to a normal routine. I still hadn't drove yet (this was my right knee after-all), but I also figured out that I could unlock the brace in the car for a short time, and that made rides far more comfortable. Due to my therapy schedule and the fact I couldn't fly for about 6 weeks, I had to make a lot of adjustments for work. I was basically part time for the first 5 weeks when you account for the trips to SF, therapy everyday, and times I just had to leave early. I wised I hadn't gone into work so early.


1 comment:

  1. So I am 25 and facing a possible Meniscus transplant if I'm a canidate....from what I see so far it's worth it right? How long would you recommend not working for? And was the pain really bad? I've had an osteotomy along with 3 other knee surgeries so I'm probably not too worried about the pain, more about missing work.

    ReplyDelete