Sunday, January 4, 2009

How is your Marlin? (Two Weeks Post-Op)



Two weeks in and my knee is doing a lot better.  I had two pesky portals that didn't heal well, but I decided to remove the steri strips and let them air dry.  They finally closed entirely, but scared pretty badly.   Bummer.

Gale Sayers blew out his knee when he played for the Bears and he quickly tired of the question, "how is your knee?"  So I believe it was Brian Picalo who would ask him, "how is your marlin?"  It was a way for him to make light of the situation with his friend, and I understand why he would need that. 

I rehabbed on my own 4 days we week at my gym in addition to the three with John.  The first two weeks were strictly core, range of motion, and leg lift stuff.  My gym has a specific area under the stairs with mats for ab workouts, and that would be my base camp. The only problem was its right in the middle of the gym's high traffic area.  I must have been asked a million times what happened.  When I would tell them it was a meniscus transplant it led to a 5 minute conversation every time.  I feel a bit compelled to share this story (in part the reason for this blog), so I would go through the million questions over and over.  I wear an Ipod, so sometimes I just ignored people, but I did realize the knee injury fraternity was quite large.  

My knee was still really swollen as you can see above.  Two weeks, and I was getting used to being on crutches and the severe pain was gone...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment