Thursday, February 5, 2009

One - Year Later



It's now been 13 months since my meniscus transplant. I no longer think much about my knee, but my exercise routine is highly focused on core stregnth and knee health. I still email Dr. Stone's PT staff on occasion to give them updates on my recovery and pick their brains for new workout tips, but thats more because they have become friends as well as therapists. What am I doing one year later you might ask? Well, I walk the golf course all the time, ride my road bicycle religiously, and started playing an occasional game of pick up basketball. In October I was inducted into the UC Davis Baseball Hall of Fame, and played 9 innings of baseball in the Alumni game at about month 10. I never thought I would play the game again prior to this surgery.

There are days when my knee feels a bit swollen and sometimes (rarely) a bit sore after a hard workout, but I pretty much don't think about it anymore unless someone asks me about it. The funny thing is my reconstructed knee feels as good or better than my other knee. I plan to ride at least 2 100-mile bike rides this year, and will ride in the ominously titled "Death Ride" in July 2009.

I would say it took me about 10 months to feel truly "healed," but since that time I'm done with worrying about it. If there is any snow, I even plan to ride a few groomers in late February in Tahoe...something I haven't done in 4 years.

Having this surgery is a big commitment...somthing The Stone Clinic made quite clear to me before I had the operation. I can honestly say I have no regrets at all from this surgery, and in fact I'm thrilled with my results.

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I have been told i need this surgery and am currently researching doctors... where did you have it done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it done December 17, 2009 in San Francisco at the Stone Clinic. Dr. Stone was my surgeon. Prepare yourself for a tough deal, but it was worth it to me for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just had the transplant surgery after 2 surgeries and 15 years of knee problems.. I'm in week 2 of recovery (presently using the CPM machine). Your blog helps me look forward to when my leg will no longer be black and blue and I can pick up my nephew without it hurting!
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget, you are probably at the walking/limping stage now. Hang in there...the improvements are small at first, but then things just get better from there! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Rich- I'm about 6 months out and I sometimes hear clicking noises when i straighten my knee (behind knee cap). Did this happen to you? My meniscus area no longer has sharp pains as it did before the surgery, but it is still sore and it swells up (and down) often. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My knee is not perfect, and it makes the occasional sound. Sometimes its a little sore if I push too hard too. I don't really swell anymore. My knee cap had some issues too, but Dr. Stone had to do some work on that separately from my meniscus. Things really start to get better fast from 6-10 months. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete