Sunday, December 21, 2008

You Have Dead Parts in You?

Literally a day or two after my knee locked up I remembered an email from an old teammate of mine who had mentioned he had a meniscus transplant.  I went through my archives and emailed him to see what he had done, and what a meniscus transplant really entailed.  First of all, my teammate went to med school at a prestigious Ivy League school, and he is ridiculously smart.  So I figured if he had this surgery and was happy with the result, I would check into it for myself.  The problem was he had the surgery 5 years prior, and it was done during his residency in Colorado -- 1500 miles away.   He explained they implanted a cadaver meniscus through a pretty rough surgery, but after a long rehab he was completely pain-free.  I discounted his concerns about the roughness of the surgery a bit since he was a pitcher (just kidding), and then I started my search to see if this was an option for me.  The problem was, there were only a few references on the internet for the procedure at all, when I searched for surgeons who perform this surgery, there were even less.  However, I read every site, study, reference, and journal study I could find.  Ultimately, the same name kept coming up, Dr. Kevin Stone, in San Francisco as "the" guy to do this surgery.  I reviewed Dr. Stone's website, including the detailed references regarding this surgery, and decided I would travel the 2 hours down to SF to see if he could help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment