Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Day 2 and Feeling Cocky


I woke up on Day 2 and had breakfast in Bed.  Tina had gone to Starbucks for coffee and scones.  My knee was pretty much numb still from the injection they give you at the conclusion of surgery, and I was feeling no pain.  The numbness was in part from an interference with a nerve (more on that later), but I was feeling pretty darn good for having my knee reamed out the day before.  Dr. Stone scheduled a 1-day post op appointment, so Tina and I made for his office. 

This is where I first figured out how hard the next 4 weeks would be.  Cars are not made to be ridden in with a leg at full extension.  I'm 6'3, so it was even worse.  Second, crutching around the day after surgery is very tiring.  I was still diligently taking my pain meds, and they definitely kept me out of it a bit.  We parked right in front in a disabled spot thanks to my obtaining my temporary handicap parking pass at the DMV (one of the smartest things I did).  

Lola the Great, took my knee out of the knee brace, uncovered the multiple ACE wraps, and cut off the bandages.   My knee was something to behold...it looked like a massive swollen slashed, and slightly bleeding cantaloupe.   Lola changed my dressings, and Dr. Stone came in to debrief me (I'm sure he spoke with me in recovery, but I literally have no memory of that place!!!).

Next, I traveled over to PT with my new best fried, and nemesis, Trish Fong.  Trish is a licensed torterur (PT), and expert in rehabbing this surgery.  The first day rehab is focused on moving the surgical foot and doing your flexation exercises.  Trish taught me some core exercises to focus on, and thoroughly explained the rehab protocols.   I finished with a brief cycle on the exercise bike with my operated leg on a chair, and iced down my knee again.  

We returned to the hotel where I became quite bored.  Tina shopped, I slept, and thought about going out to dinner.  I spent the entire day icing my knee (pictured), and pretty much thinking this surgery was a breeze.  We chose to stay in again, and Tina brought dinner in from a local restaurant.  We watched a movie, iced some more, and shut it down early again...this night would not be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment