Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The First Leg of the Triathlon


So I woke up early on M-day at the hotel.  The surgery center is literally a walk away, but I know I won't be walking back.   I'm a bit nervous, but its really early, so Tina and I go over and use the valet parking at the center.  The surgery center is in an office building, so I feel a bit weird riding up the elevator in my sweats with guys in their suits.  They don't look twice...the must be used to it.  Check in was easy, and they took me back to put on my gown.  Nothing like a hospital gown to challenge your manhood.  When I got back to the preop area, Tina was waiting and they cleaned my leg and started an IV.  It went pretty darn fast, and unlike a normal hospital, I never got the sensation that I was in a heard of cattle waiting for my turn.  I walked down the hall towards the OR, and kissed my wife goodbye.  I remember thinking it was the last time I would be walking for a while. 

The OR went smoothly.  They had Christmas music on, gave me a shot of something to loosen me up, and I began to disclose my entire Christmas list.  They positioned me on the table, told me to have a nice nap, and the next thing I remember I was in the recovery area.  

I should qualify my memory of the recovery area...frankly, the only thing I remember is my wife and a nurse putting my shoe on my surgery leg.  I remember the ride to the car in the wheelchair, and I was feeling no pain.  We drove the quarter mile to the hotel, and got settled in the room (it was a long crutch from the lobby to the room).

Tina made a run across the street for a grilled cheese sandwich, and fired up the ice machine...my new best friend.  It was the first of Tina's 5 trips to the ice maker that night.  Tina kept me on my meds, we watched a movie, and I went to sleep early.   The unfortunate part about having IV fluids is you have to go afterwards, and going to the bathroom was not fun.  The good thing was I was sore, but not in pain...that would come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment