Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Okay, that hurts



The early morning of day three reminded me why we chose the St. Francis.  The beds are great, the people are fantastic, and we figured we might as well enjoy the night.  The first bathroom trip that night was uneventful.  Tina woke me to take my pain meds, I went to the bathroom, and got back in bed...it was about 2:00 a.m.  I woke suddenly in pretty severe pain...I would say 8-9 of out 10.  I told Tina I needed my pain meds, but she said I was still a few hours away...it was 4:00 a.m.  My knee was just throbbing.  As long as I didn't move at all I was okay, but lifting it to move around was intolerable.  I suffered through the rest of the night, put on my sweats and we went to Dr. Stone's for my second rehab session.  The problem was that I was not in any condition to even sit on the bike again, I begged for a stronger pain killer, and they gave me a shot of Toridol (I think).  I had a 2+ hour drive back home ahead of me, and I was not feeling good at all.

I iced again, packed my knee back into the brace, and left for home...it was Friday, December 20, and we were headed to Rocklin (towards Lake Tahoe) in holiday traffic.  The drive home was miserable and slow.  I couldn't get comfortable, and we forgot our pillows at the hotel, so I was trying anything to get my knee in a reasonable position.  I wasn't in as much pain, but it was the worst 2.5 hour ride I think I have ever had.  

We pulled into our home, and the kids were still at their grandparents.  Tina left to pick them up and I parked myself in bed again...the ice machine was flowing.  Tina took this picture of my knee as we changed the dressing.  This adventure was going to be harder than I thought.  I had a therapy session set for the 23rd with my local PT (John Zior at Rocklin Physical Therapy).  

1 comment: