Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Five Anniverstary on Round Two

5 ago today, I had my revised medial meniscus transplant, and I'm still feeling pretty good. I'm getting older, so aches and pains are a reality with very active lifestyle.  My knee feels pretty good most of the time, although I have a little pain developing in the area of my transplant. Hope its just been pushed too hard lately.  I've hard enough surgery for a lifetime on this knee, and I can live with a little twinge here and there.  This is a relatively new development, but nothing is catching, and it's manageable without any pain meds other than an occasional Advil.  I've hung up my hockey skates for good, not because of my knee, but because the contact I loved so much became hard to recover from after each game. I spend more time in the gym and on the golf course than ever, and my knee doesn't hold me back.  I did a little wake boarding this year, and really enjoy wake surfing.  I think wake surfing is a new sport that is very safe for my knees, and loved it.  I don't really limit anything because of my knee, but the reality is my lifestyle has become a little less aggressive athletically as I approach 50.   I'm always looking for a new challenge, so who knows what is next.  I'm so thankful that I've been able to compete after my MTs pain free, and I have a memories that will last forever that would not have happened without this surgery.  Happy healing folks.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Rich! I recently found your page and have read every sentence you have written from beginning to now haha. You are such an inspiration to me! Did your doctor tell you specifically that you would be able to resume sports at near or the same level as before? I just spoke to my surgeon who suggested that sports might be out of the question even after I get the transplant (I'm 30 and in good shape haha). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My doctor's first plan was for me to be pain free, but also to return to sports. I was able to do so, but I was also fully committed to rehab, and my results were better than some others I've corresponded with. Feel free to email me any specific questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rich! I sent an email to mymeniscustransplant@gmail.com, is that right? Also thank you for getting back to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey so did u have any mal-alignment in knee or just meniscus issue? coz i have read if there is mal alignment then meniscus transplant doesnt help much? is it true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. You should talk to your doctor, I have no idea. Good luck.

      Delete