Thursday, November 17, 2016

Happy M-Day 2.0 to me.  It's been one year, and a week, since my meniscus transplant revision.  This one was easy from the outset, and while there were little bumps in the road to recovery, nothing was too difficult.  While I have not returned to contact sports yet, and maybe never again since I'm 44, I feel like my knee would not be a problem.  It's pain free, doesn't pop, lock or give out, and feels as good as ever.  I'm not interested in doing it again, so I'm really considering throttling down a bit (i.e. retiring from ice hockey), but not everything.  I spent time this summer hiking in Tahoe, walking all over the Greece, and generally returning to anything and everything I wanted.  Yoga is a passion, and I've been able to do just about everything I'm willing to try.  Recovery, for me, is just what I wanted it to be.

I had 7 great years with my last one, and I'm hopeful to get even more out of this one. I'm diligently working out, getting ready to start mountain biking (I don't ride in the summer much...too hot here), and was able return to working out with no restrictions.  

The best part of recovery was returning to coach my youth football team one last year before they move on to high school.  Dr. Stone and his team put me back together once again, and that allowed me to return to my passion for coaching kids. The picture above is celebrating a TD with my QB (my son), and it's worth every minute of surgery, recovery pain, and rehab!

As always, feel free to email me questions...heal well my friends.

8 comments:

  1. Hi iv just had a lateral meniscus transplant and am 2 weeks post op and the pain so far has been unbearable. How long did you find the pain was there for? As im starting to worry something isnt right with my knee.
    Thanks in advance
    Vj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there VJ. By now, week three, I had very little pain. Talk to your doctor or PT!

      Delete
    2. Thank you i have just got out of hospital as i did not believe everything was fine with my knee and turned out i have an infection which is the reason i was in so much pain. One question i do have when were you able to sleep on your front? Vj

      Delete
    3. Sorry for the delay in responding...it was probably 6 weeks or so before my knee felt comfortable on my side (the contact between knees had to be avoided). Hope you are feeling much better by now!

      Delete
  2. Hey Rich, I just emailed you...wanted to make sure I have the right email address:

    mymeniscustranplant@gmail.com

    Sound right?

    -Duke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know if you feel like you could run or play tennis?

    Also I am having a hard time finding a doctor in dallas tx. Do you have a recommendation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I have no idea of any other doctors than mine. I believe I could play tennis, with a brace, but I don't run much. I'm playing ice hockey tonight though!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete