Monday, December 22, 2014

Happy M-Day Plus 7.

I can't believe it's been 7 years since my meniscus transplant.  My knee continues to serve me well, and I'm still playing ice-hockey, riding bikes (transitioned to mountain), and doing lots of things I probably shouldn't do (like catching bullpens for my baseball youth team and playing scout team QB against pee-wee footballers).  I'm not particularly good about icing after big events, and I don't really think about my knee holding me back.  If I treat it poorly, my knee will remind me that I'm not 21 anymore, and doctors have inside there 4 times.

Through this blog I've met many people from around the world that have had this surgery.   I've seen some awesome outcomes, and some unfortunate folks who have had setbacks (one was hit by a truck on her bike wrecking her freshly minted MT).  As I'm sure you can see from my blog, rehab was the key to my personal recovery, but also I knew there was a chance the outcome wouldn't be great. I was 35 and nowhere near ready to quit playing hard...it wasn't a tough choice for me, but I did as much research as I could before making the final decision.  I was also fortunate to have a great team at Dr. Stone's and a great local PT (John Zior in Rocklin, CA), who guided me through every up and down.

I'm on my second custom functional knee brace as I wore the first one out (yes, I play that hard).  I use it for skiing, hockey, and basketball (yes, I've started playing again with my 12 year-old son).  Hockey is not a twisting sport, and my MT rarely, if ever, gives me issues.  I feel like I have something going on behind my knee cap, and in the lateral part of the knee (the opposite side of my MT), but I can live with those issues and I don't plan on stopping for anything.  I've read that the average life span is 10 years for an MT, and considering how hard I've pushed mine, I'm hoping for the best.  I'm not ready to do it all over again, but I would still do it all over again.  My MT surgery been a solid decision for me thus far.  Since I don't have medial pain, I'm assuming my articular cartilage is hanging in there, my knee is very stable, and the MT is doing it's job.  So, for those of you getting ready for this surgery, get yourself ready physically and mentally for a challenge.  For those of you in the middle of this journey, hang in there, there is light, however faint, at the end of the tunnel.  Finally, if you've had the surgery, and you are still going for it, let me know about what you are doing in the comments.

All the best and Merry Christmas.

15 comments:

  1. I am 36 and 2 yrs removed from my MT. I am itching to get back to playing street hockey but worried about the long term effects. I have a 5 and 2 yr old and I don't want to be unable to do activities with them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wells,

    I played basketball, skied, hiked, rode my bike a ton, and did just about everything up until about 2 years ago. I'm a little more protective now (not really skiing), and I'm starting to think about not wanting to do this again by taking a few more precautions. It worked well for me, but I'm noticing it's not as strong as before.

    Hopefully you are feeling well day to day. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your blog. Had medial meniscus repaired at anchor point. 6 months out and still can't walk well or run a step. Re-dedicated myself to PT this week for us to figure out what's going on. If full MT surgeries can be successful we need to figure out what's going on with me. Killing me to go from running marathons to not being able to run 1 step...especially on crisp sunny days. Thank you again for your blog. I'm going to go ice now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KA, I know meniscus repairs are really tough to take. I'm sorry to hear about your struggle...rehab, rehab, rehab! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rich,

    I've been facing a medial meniscus transplant for over a year now. I just found out yesterday that the surgery could possibly include a bone graft due to a fail microfracture from about 8 years ago. your blog is honest and inspiring. Thank you.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean,

    I had a very straightforward op. Little or no articular damage. I hope you have a great recovery, and DM me is you have specific questions.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rich,

    I just found your blog and you have given me hope! I am just under 2 weeks post-op from a medial meniscus transplant and ACL reconstruction. This was my 5th knee surgery (2 previous ACL reconstructions, and several menisectomies). Up until this last injury I was running 2-3 times a week (4-6 miles) and Crossfitting regularly. I am terrified I won't be able to run again! And at this point I am still in so much pain, that it is impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel. What can I expect in the next few weeks? When does it start to get better?

    Thank you!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa,

    The next few weeks for me were slow moving and at times frustrating. Be patient, adhere to your rehab religiously, and most of all approach it with a positive outcome. DM me if you have specific questions.

    If you look through my blog, it goes through my progression in some pretty specific detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rich, thanks your blog was so helpful. I'm three months out from a lateral MT this week and it's been by far the hardest of my three knee surgeries. I started swimming this week--my surgeon said it was ok--and have now been sore for five days. My PT said not to worry but I was wondering if anything like that happened to you when you started adding new activiities. I'm rehabbing like crazy but definitely not pain free yet. Thanks, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. During the first 4-6 months I would experience some soreness whenever I really introduced new exercises or pushed the ROM hard. DM me if you have any more specific questions. Heal well!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Rich,
    I am considering Dr. Stone for MT surgery. I have some questions for you. How do I DM you?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kevin,

    You can email me at mymeniscustranplant@gmail.com

    Note there is no S in "tranplant"

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you have collagen meniscus or cadaver meniscus transplant with dr Stone

    I had acl repair with partial meniscus removed ,but now back with menisus tear. Im exploring options to get back active lifestyle
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete