Thursday, September 9, 2010

Time to Retire

Well, at 38 I've decided to hang up my basketball shoes for good. This past year hasn't been kind on my knees, and due to an injury to my non-transplant knee and a strange development in my MT knee, I've formally announced my retirement from basketball. I love the game, but it has caused some new issues in both knees, and that is the end of that.

My MT knee is still really good, but I've been having a strange locking sensation. Never a good thing when you have existing meniscus problems, but it's there nonetheless. I've been neglecting my cycling and dropped my formal rehab, and I hope that's the problem. I've had three great years with my MT knee, and I'm hoping for at least 5 more before we touch that knee again. I still have athletic plans I'm not ready to give up, and I've started training for a triathlon next year. No jogging yet (and I haven't done that since my MT), but we'll just see how it goes. My knee hasn't locked (its actually a dislocating feeling--yeah I know how bad that sounds) in a few weeks, but it's happened numerous times. I must admit I'm nervous. I've been putting it off, but I think I need a trip to the OS. I'm hopeful the problem has nothing to do with my meniscus.

My other knee had a bad tear in my medial meniscus in late 09', and while the meniscectomy resolved the severe pain, it's left me with a lousy knee. My MT knee is far better, so for what its worth, I'm still way ahead of the game.

So for now, I'm in the gym, pool, and on the course. Just like a good retired hoopster should.

8 comments:

  1. As a fellow meniscus transplant recipient (I had mine done in May of 2010 at the ripe old age of 21...), I enjoyed seeing your pictures and reading your story. I also had two previous scopes on my knee before the transplant and I was glad to see I wasn't alone in being a little shocked by how much more painful and intense the transplant was than the scopes. Thanks again for sharing your story, and heres to long lasting knees for us both :)

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly,

    My Doc was clear that this is a rough surgery, and he wasn't lying! The first 6 weeks was brutal mostly trying to manage recovery, work, rehab, and being a dad. Hang in there, and keep your rehab going hard. It's worth it in the end.

    Good luck,

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed your blog. As a fellow cyclist who is scheduled to have this sugery Oct. 26. You have answered one of my biggest questions about the surgey. Will I still be able to ride? Hopefully at the level I was at or higher. We'll see.

    Truly,

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Ed. Shoot me a message, and I will shoot you my email back if you have any questions. Get on your bike asap...it was a key for me. It looks like you had it done yesterday. Today is probably a rough day, but hang in there...better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rich,
    Yeah I had the surgery on Mon. Tues,and Wed.(today) sucked. Starting to feel a little better. Its hurts much worse than my I remember my acl surgery hurting.Please email me I have a couple of questions. Thanks for the kind words. -Ed
    aggromanrides@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rich,
    Did you see OS? Do you have any news what is causing strange locking sensation in you're knee?

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juha, no I haven't been yet. I've been really hitting the bike again hard and it hasn't happened for awhile. It doesn't feel related to the meniscus though...we'll see how it goes. I plan on skiing in a month or two, so I want to get myself into top shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I hope it's nothing serious. Keep us posted how things are going after your appointment with OS.
    Have fun in the slopes. I miss skiing soo much :-)

    ReplyDelete